You learn the Alexander Technique through one-to-one lessons with one of our qualified teachers who will address your individual needs. Some teachers offer introductory group classes and workshops. All our teachers have successfully completed a 3 year full time training course.
What to expect in a lesson
- Initially you may discuss your reasons for taking lessons and your teacher will explain what happens in a lesson.
- Your teacher will guide you through simple movements and everyday activities such as sitting, standing, walking or bending, communicating through skilful hands-on guidance and verbal explanations.
- Part of the lesson may include lying down in the classic Alexander Technique semi-supine position which allows maximum support for the back to relax and expand.
- Although you will not be engaging in any kind of strenuous exercise, the lesson relies on your active participation.
- Your teacher will recommend that you wear unrestrictive clothing. Trousers or leggings are ideal. You may be asked to remove your shoes.
Duration and cost
- A lesson lasts about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Your progress and particular needs and goals will determine the number of lessons you decide to take. Many people notice benefits from the very first lesson. A series of 20 to 30 lessons is a good foundation for you to be able to start applying the Alexander Technique in your daily life.
- Cost of lessons varies, depending on location and premises – for example London prices range between £35 and £50 on average. Please contact your local teacher to enquire about specific costs.
- The Alexander Technique is taught in a variety of premises – Alexander centres, health clinics, pain clinics, schools, colleges, businesses. And many teachers run a practice from their homes.