STAT policy on safeguarding requires members to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service check (formerly CRB check)
- How do I access the DBS service?
- Which DBS Check do I need?
- What is regulated activity?
- Should I apply for both Children and Vulnerable Adults Barred Lists?
- Is there a cost difference in the type of Enhanced Certificate I apply for?
- What do I do if I already have a DBS or CRB Enhanced Certificate?
- What do I do if I must apply for a new Enhanced Certificate through the STAT appointed agency?
- What is the DBS update service and what does being subscribed to this Service mean?
- What do I do if I am already subscribed to the DBS Update Service?
- What do I do if my certificate contains disclosures?
- What do I do if I do not have a portable certificate or Update Service subscription?
- Which documents are valid for identity checks?
- So I am applying for a new DBS check. What happens then?
- Any more questions?
In order to provide you with access to this service the following steps will need to be followed:
- carefully read the information below advising of the correct level check and barred list.
- provide your contact information and email address allowing us to create an online application for your completion (the log in details for this application will be sent to the email address you provide)
- Provide copies of your identity documents for the purpose of completing your DBS check
The most robust check obtainable is an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check including checks carried out against the Children and Vulnerable Adults barred lists. If you are not eligible for this then we would ask for an Enhanced DBS Check but without the barred list check.
In order to establish which Enhanced DBS Check you are required to apply for, please provide us with the following information:
Does the scope of your practice include working with children and may your pupils also be vulnerable adults? (Please refer to the Child and Vulnerable Adults Protection Policy). If so you may be carrying out a regulated activity, which then entitles you to a barred list check.
Children are people under the age of 18 and regulated activity would involve teaching for more than three days a month. Regulated activity for Children and Vulnerable Adults also includes Heath Care where directed or supervised by certain health care professionals. These include: nurses, midwifes, physiotherapists, osteopaths, chiropractors and podiatrists.
For example, if the scope of your practice includes work in a multi-disciplinary practice you may well be directed or supervised by one of these professionals. If this applies to you, you will need to apply for the appropriate barred list check(s).
If you have only a check against one barred list on an existing DBS Certificate and will be working with both Children and Vulnerable Adults you may need to apply for a full barred lists check. Equally, please consider carefully about the type of DBS check that you will require as reapplying costs the full amount again with a new application having to be made – an existing Certificate cannot be upgraded at a lower cost. If you apply for a DBS check with no barred list check requested and then find yourself involved in regulated activity you will have to make a fresh application for a DBS check with requested barred lists.
If you would like to discuss the level of check required please contact the STAT office.
No. The cost of an Enhanced Certificate is the same with all, one or neither barred lists checks being carried out.
STAT endorses ‘portability’ i.e. the re-use of DBS or CRB checks obtained for a position in one organisation and later used for another organisation.
If you are not subscribed to the DBS Update Service (see below) but do have a DBS Certificate, STAT can accept this subject to the following provisos:
- The original DBS certificate must be sent to the Office for checking. Photo-copies will not be accepted. The original will be returned to you.
- The DBS check must be ‘enhanced’.
- Where you are engaged in regulated work the appropriate Adults’ and Children’s Barred List checks must be requested (shown as: NONE RECORDED).
- The certificate must be less than two years old from the point of presentation.
- If you are engaged in regulated work delivered at at your home address you will need to have declared to the DBS via the agency that handled your application that this is so. If you did not do this then you will need to apply for a new Enhanced Certificate via the STAT appointed agency and declare that you are engaged in regulated work from your home address (see below).
Due to the large amount of administration involved in obtaining DBS checks for UK teaching members, STAT employs an agency (Complete Background Screening Ltd - CBS) to deal with these checks on our behalf.
Enhanced Certificates will cost £53.60 (£44 to the Disclosure and Barring Service for check itself and £8 + vat for agency administration fee). For your information, the administration fee STAT has negotiated with the agency has been reduced from £13.00 to £8.00. We have agreed with the agency that our members do not have to send in original ID documents. In the current climate of identity fraud, this has saved members the trouble of sending off documents by recorded delivery and worry that their documents may be lost or stolen and also it avoids additional cost of £8 to get their documents verified at the Post Office using the ID verification scheme.
The agency (CBS) has advised us that an enhanced DBS check can take up to six weeks although for many online applications the period can be less. Please note that to ensure continuation of your insurance cover the forms need to be returned to CBS as soon as possible. Failure to obtain an Enhanced DBS Certificate will result in your STAT membership lapsing. Please refer to the section 'Step 2 - i' in the email that you have received from the STAT Office.
As of June 2013 the government introduced the DBS Update Service. The Update Service allows us to carry out the three-yearly check of your certificate on-line, without the need for a fresh certificate. STAT will notify you at the point when you can subscribe to the Update Service.
All that we require is an email from you confirming that you give us permission to check the status of your DBS certificate. We will perform a single check to verify that you are subscribed. A full DBS check application is required at the outset.
N.B. you need to subscribe to the Update Service within 30 days of your certificate being issued.
If you are subscribed:
- You should never need to get a DBS certificate again.
- Following the payment for your first DBS check (£53.60), the cost is £13 a year, i.e. £39 over three years rather than continued payments of £53.60 for a new certificate every three years.
- Your certificate becomes portable so long as you are subscribed, and should be accepted by any other employer or agency.
You can subscribe to the Update Service for an Enhanced Disclosure subscription with or without barred lists checks. If you need to modify the level of screening however, a fresh application for a DBS check will need to be made.
You must already have a DBS certificate in order to be subscribed to the DBS Update Service. If you do:
- It does not matter how old the certificate is.
- The certificate must meet the necessary criteria (ie enhanced check with Adults’ and Children’s Barred Lists checks as appropriate).
- You must give us the information we need to be able to check the status of the certificate using the Update Service i.e. certificate number and date-of-birth.
- You must give us permission to check the status of your certificate using the DBS Update Service.
- If your update status is clear nothing further is required; if it is not clear, we will need to see the original certificate.
If you are not already subscribed to the DBS Update Service but would like to and will be making a new application for a DBS Enhanced Certificate we will send you further information about how to subscribe when you complete the DBS check. Please ask us at that point.
This is handled by the STAT Data Protection Officer with the utmost discretion and sensitivity and attention to data protection issues. Only in exceptional circumstances would this be referred for further consideration; and most spent convictions no longer appear on DBS certificates.
You should forward a certificate with disclosures to the STAT office marked ‘Private and Confidential’ and for the attention of the Data Protection Officer.
Please provide the information required to create a new application for a DBS check:
- please confirm the required level of checks and whether you are required to be checked against the barred lists?
- provide your contact information and email address (see step 2 – i) allowing us to create an online application for your completion (the log in details for this application will be sent to the email address you provide)
- provide copies of your identity documents for the purpose of completing your DBS check
We have agreed with CBS that they will accept photocopies instead of originals. Note that to assure themselves CBS may undertake an additional ID check in house. For a valid list of ID documents click here.
Document copies can be sent as a scanned attachment with the form or by fax to: 01443 790090 or by post. If you can produce a good quality image using a camera you can also send an attached file with the form.
Any paper based submissions should be sent to:
Complete Background Screening Ltd
Cwm Cynon Business Park
Once you have returned the required information, you will receive an email allowing you to log into your DBS application, complete the form, and provide online payment. Our DBS partners, CBS will contact you if they require any further information from you. CBS require the following information from you to carry forth the application process:
Children’s Barred List Check
Yes / No
Vulnerable Adults Barred List Check
Yes / No
Does the position involve working from your home address*
Yes / No
* If you do not work with Children or Vulnerable Adults then please select ‘No’ to the home-based question. For more information about this question please visit: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417910/Home_based_position_flowchart_final_v1.pdf
Please send this information to:
- Cerys Conway:email@example.com
- and also copy your reply to the STAT office: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a question about a matter regarding the DBS check process other than the return of the information requested in the above table please contact Luke or Joe at the STAT office on 020 8885 6524 or at email@example.com.
CBS can be contacted on 01443 799 900.